Arti delle Mani Nere by Elio Revera
Vuoi reagire a questo messaggio? Crea un account in pochi click o accedi per continuare.

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo

Andare in basso

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo Empty Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo

Messaggio  Elio Dom Nov 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo Yaka_010

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo

end of 19th century - early 20th century
Wood, painted in white, blue and ocher, cloth and fibers
H. 15,7 in/40 cm
Private Collection Milano
Photo by Luca del Pia
Arti delle Mani Nere All Rights Reserved

Provenance:
- Formerly in the collection of Henry Jacob (1969), Belgium
- Didier Claes, Bruxelles, Belgium
- Renaud Vanuxem, Paris, France

Exhibition:
- Claes Gallery - Exposition Yaka & Suku - Sablon "Rive gauche" 29-31 mars 2012
- Bruneaf XXII, 6th-10th June 2012, Bruxelles

This mask is from the northern Yaka more likely from the Munene chiefdom, and was part of a set of masks, generally paired in the celebrations following the initiation of young males in Nkanda. The ceremonies are intended to further the adolescents’ social and physical maturity, and in particular to insure their virility as a guarantee of the community’ future.

The northern Yaka consider the kholuka mask to be one of the most significant types used in this context. It is worn only by the supervisors of the initiates. Its dance concludes the ceremony that marks the end of seclusion.
The dances are accompanied by songs concerned with adult masculinity, intended to confirm the new social status of the young men.

Like other Northern Yaka masks of this type, it combines carved elements with other parts: raffia, cloth, resin: here, the fabric coiffure coated with richly polychrome is composed of a central crest and two antenna-like projections "mizaanga" o "migaandi" on either at the other. The colors and the various elements of the mask have symbolic meanings related to the Yaka cosmogony.

The carved face is mounted on a circular framework and is related to fertility, femininity and there is reference to the moon in the frame that encircles the mask while the sharply upturned nose could be linked to the symbolism of the elephant that is an allusion to the male sex.
About the mouth is possible to observe the absence of central teeth in the upper jaw: in fact children's teeth were removed because of tetanus, so as to have a way in which to introduce the drug once taken the infection.
All various exaggerated features speak to desirable characteristics of the young initiated male.
At the same time, the composition encompasses a variety of elements of both male e female connotation, pointing to an androgynous character that mitigates the emphasis on masculinity expressed in the ritual.

The collar of raffia that hid the wooden handle to manipulate the mask was withdrawn (the raffia share symbolic associations with the fertile palm-tree). This allows to fully appreciate the quality of the sculpture and its volumes, favoring a play of lines and shadows, especially on the circular edge of the face and the elegant twist of the nose.

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo Yaka_011

Bibliography:
- BIEBUYCK, Daniel B., 1985, The Arts of Zaire, vol I: Southwestern Zaire, Berkeley/Los Angeles/London.
- BLADES, Richard, 1985, “Yaka”, in Herbet Cole (ed.), I am not myself. The Art of African Masquerade, Museum of Cultural History, UCLA, Los Angeles, pp. 78-82
- BOURGEOIS, Arthur P., 1984, Art of the Yaka and Suku, Alain et Françoise Chaffin editeurs, Paris
- BOURGEOIS, Arthur P., 1993, “Mask and Masking among the Yaka, Suku and Related Peoples”, in Frank Herreman and Costantijn Petridis (eds.) Face of the Spirits, Masks from the Zaire Basin, Ethonographic Museum, Antwerp, pp. 49-56
- CORNET, Joseph, 1973, Afrikanische Kunst. Schätze vom Zaïre, Geneva.
- GARDI, Barnhard, 1986, Zaïre. Masken, Figuren, Museum für Völkerkunde und Schweizerisches Museum für Volkskunde, Basel.
- PLANCQUAERT, M., 1930, Le Sociétés secrètes des Bayaka, Louvain.

Yaka people, Maschera KHOLUKA, Repubblica Democratica del Congo

fine 19th secolo - inizio 20th secolo
Legno colorato di bianco, blu e ocra, tessuto e fibre,
H. 40 cm
Collezione Privata Milano
Photo by Luca del Pia
Arti delle Mani Nere All Rights Reserved

- Didier Claes, Bruxelles, Belgio
- Renaud Vanuxem, Parigi, Francia

Esposizioni:

- Claes Gallery - Exposition Yaka & Suku - Sablon "Rive gauche" 29-31 mars 2012
- Bruneaf XXII, 6 - 10 giugno 2012, Bruxelles

Questa maschera proviene dagli Yaka del nord, molto probabilmente dallo chiefdom Munene, e faceva parte di una serie di maschere, generalmente associate alle celebrazioni successive all’iniziazione dei giovani maschi dette Nkanda. Le cerimonie hanno lo scopo di promuovere la maturità sociale e fisica degli adolescenti, ed in particolare devono assicurare la loro virilità come garanzia del futuro della comunità.

Fra gli Yaka settentrionali, la maschera kholuka è considerata una delle più importanti utilizzate in questo contesto. E 'indossata solo da colui che vigila gli iniziati. La sua danza conclude la cerimonia che segna la fine del periodo di segregazione dei ragazzi.
Le danze sono accompagnate da canti che parlano della mascolinità degli adulti, destinati a confermare il nuovo status sociale dei giovani.

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo 52333110

Come altre maschere di questa tipologia, vengono combinati elementi scolpiti con le altre parti: rafia, stoffa, resina: qui, la pettinatura in fibre presenta una ricca policromia ed è composta da una cresta centrale e da due antenne "mizaanga" o "migaandi " poste su entrambi i lati. I colori ed i vari elementi della maschera hanno significati simbolici legati alla cosmogonia Yaka.

Il volto scolpito è incorniciato in una struttura circolare (un riferimento alla luna), e sarebbe da rapportarsi alla fertilità e femminilità, mentre il naso all'insù potrebbe essere legato al simbolismo dell'elefante, che è un'allusione al sesso maschile.
In merito alla bocca è possibile osservare la mancanza dei denti centrali nell'arcata superiore: infatti i denti dei bambini erano rimossi a causa del tetano, in modo da avere una via in cui introdurre il farmaco una volta presa l'infezione.
Tutti questi elementi “esagerati ed eccessivi” si riferiscono alle caratteristiche desiderabili del giovane maschio iniziato.
Allo stesso tempo, la composizione comprende una varietà di elementi di connotazione sia maschile sia femminile, indicando un carattere androgino della maschera, teso a mitigare l'accento sulla mascolinità espressa nel rituale.

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo Yaka_012

Il collare di rafia che nascondeva l'impugnatura di legno utilizzata per reggere la maschera è stato tolto (la rafia è simbolicamente associata con la fertile palma). Questo permette di apprezzare appieno la qualità della scultura e i suoi volumi, favorendo un gioco di linee e ombre, in particolare del bordo circolare del viso e la torsione elegante del naso.

Bibliografia:
- BIEBUYCK, Daniel B., 1985, The Arts of Zaire, vol I: Southwestern Zaire, Berkeley/Los Angeles/London.
- BLADES, Richard, 1985, “Yaka”, in Herbet Cole (ed.), I am not myself. The Art of African Masquerade, Museum of Cultural History, UCLA, Los Angeles, pp. 78-82
- BOURGEOIS, Arthur P., 1984, Art of the Yaka and Suku, Alain et Françoise Chaffin editeurs, Paris
- BOURGEOIS, Arthur P., 1993, “Mask and Masking among the Yaka, Suku and Related Peoples”, in Frank Herreman and Costantijn Petridis (eds.) Face of the Spirits, Masks from the Zaire Basin, Ethonographic Museum, Antwerp, pp. 49-56
- CORNET, Joseph, 1973, Afrikanische Kunst. Schätze vom Zaïre, Geneva.
- GARDI, Barnhard, 1986, Zaïre. Masken, Figuren, Museum für Völkerkunde und Schweizerisches Museum für Volkskunde, Basel.
- PLANCQUAERT, M., 1930, Le Sociétés secrètes des Bayaka, Louvain.

Yaka people, Kholuka mask, Democratic Republic of Congo Photo112
Elio
Elio
Admin

https://artidellemaninere.forumattivo.it

Torna in alto Andare in basso

- Argomenti simili